Surveys and conversations consistently reveal two dominant concerns for members of the Beaufort
Regional Chamber of Commerce: workforce availability and housing affordability. The issues are linked.
We cannot hope to address our workforce challenges without also addressing housing. Likewise, we
cannot meaningfully improve housing affordability without increasing supply of “missing middle”
Here is a letter the Chamber recently sent to the City of Beaufort regarding this issue, with five recommended solutions:
- With clear standards for design, ADUs should be allowed by right in all residential zones.
- With clear standards for design, small scale multifamily housing should be allowed by right in all residential zones.
- Establish clear and rigorous guidelines and empower City staff to issue permits without board approval or public hearings.
- Do not implement any new requirements that might impede housing.
- Look for other policy areas for changes that may reduce cost and add efficiency to the development process for affordable housing.