Beaufort County School District is one of nine school districts statewide to earn distinction as a Purple Star district for their efforts to support the unique educational and social-emotional needs of military-connected children. To earn the distinction, districts must:
- Have a designated liaison supporting military families,
- Have a website specifically for military families,
- Ensure that students receive accurate transfer credit from previous schools,
- Ensure that transfer students can participate in sports and clubs,
- Provide specialized training for school counselors, staff, and administrators.
“It is our goal to support military children by removing barriers that could inhibit their success academically, socially, or emotionally,” said Superintendent Frank Rodriguez. “I am grateful to our military families who have entrusted Beaufort County schools with their children’s education, and I extend a heartfelt welcome to those who are new to our area. These individuals are serving our country, and we value the opportunity to serve their families.”
Learn more about the Purple Star program from the S.C. Dept of Education and the Military Child Education Coalition.